Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

St. Patty's Day Project Part 2

 St. Patty's Day 4 Leaf Clover Wreath:
You will need:
Cardboard- big enough for the letter size you would like & thick enough to not be wobbly
Frame
Ribbon
Scissors
Hot glue gun
Felt square(s)- I had to use two as my letter was slightly bigger than one.
About 30 little shamrocks/ four leaf clovers from the previous post


The first step is to figure out how big you want your letter, draw it on to the cardboard and cut it out.  I didn't take pictures of this step- oops!  If you want you can always use your computer to print out a letter and then copy it on to the cardboard, but I just used a pencil and drew it until I liked what I saw and then cut it out.  Notice my letter has a few little places missing on it- they just happened to be in box that I used! 

Next, you will lay it face down on the felt and then cut around it.  I glued it to the felt first and then cut it out, but I think it would be easier to use a sharpie and draw on the felt where you want to cut it- then cut it.  Notice that I cut tabs up to the edge of the letter.  That will help to make everything nice and flat when you start gluing them down.

Using a hot glue gun, you will glue down all the tabs working your way around the letter.  The corners can be cut out so that they will glue down easier:

Here is what it looks like from the front:  (Not very pretty and there is one little gap, but it will work!)


Then you will start gluing the shamrocks on to your letter:  (A little bit of hot glue goes a long way!)

I placed mine in a random pattern, but they also look nice all facing the same direction.  Here it is finished before the frame:

Next, I took a little bit of ribbon, looped it around the letter and duck taped it to the back of the frame.  I was glad I taped it, because since a "B" hangs a little bit off center it took a few tries to get it properly centered in the frame.  After this step, you can always throw a few staples in there to really hold it in place but it is so light that I doubt you will need them.

Here it is hanging on my door:

And another shot:
If you make one for your front door, you may need to stick a few pieces of tape between the letter and the door or it may blow in the wind! 

No comments:

Post a Comment